Over the Christmas season, wintery beverages are a comforting way of getting that warm, fuzzy, festive feeling. Mulled wine, hot chocolate, warm port, hot toddies and Irish coffees are all seasonal in their own way (and that’s before we even look at the cocktail menu!).
The addition of spices such as cinnamon, cardamom, cloves and nutmeg will imbue the most pedestrian of beverages with Christmas cheer. Here are a few idea to indulge you taste buds over the season.
- A little pinch of mixed spice to some really good, ground coffee with whipped cream will have you singing Jingle Bells in no time.
- In a small pan over a low to medium heat, warm a mug of whole milk with a tablespoon of unwhipped cream. Add a drop of vanilla extract, a small pinch of cinnamon and 3 or 4 squares of good quality white chocolate. Stir until the chocolate is melted. Serve with a dollop of whipped cream (as pictured above).
- Add a dash of baileys to your regular hot chocolate along with whipped cream and marshmallows.
- Cranberry and freshly squeezed orange juice with champagne or prosecco will add some fizz to a lazy brunch.
- Nut flavoured liquers such as Amaretto are fabulously festive and are great as a digestif or added to baileys for a decadent cocktail.