The much loved chicken nugget has come under intense scrutiny by the likes of Jamie Oliver in recent years. Revelations that processed nuggets contained some highly questionable ingredients raised eyebrows (particularly among parents) and made us think about what we are feeding our children. This has been a very good thing. While treats at fast food outlets and convenience foods aren’t exactly criminal offences, moderation and balance are key. I have never denied my children fast food or sweets but I do my best to offset this by giving them plenty of fruit, veg and hearty home cooking. Here’s a healthy recipe for chicken nuggets/goujons that goes down a treat with my little men. The big man is a huge fan too.
350g chicken fillets, cut into big chunks
150g wholemeal or white breadcrumbs
A handful of chopped, fresh, mixed herbs such as parsley, thyme, rosemary, chives or whatever you have available. You could substitute this for one tablespoon of dried mixed herbs.
A dusting of plain flour
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
A knob of butter
1. Preheat oven to 180 degrees Celsius. Using the knob of butter, grease a baking tray, tin or oven proof dish.
2. Crack your egg into a bowl and give it a quick whisk
3. Dust your chicken chunks with flour.
4. On a large plate, place your breadcrumbs, chopped herbs and some salt and black pepper. Mix through.
5. Dip your chunks of chicken into the egg and then into the breadcrumbs making sure they are evenly coated. Give the a gentle shake and place on the greased dish.
6. Place in the oven for 15-20 minutes. Turn once or twice to brown evenly.
Serve with ketchup, garlic mayo or dip of choice.