After some ferocious indulgence in chocolate over the Easter, here’s a little health kick in the form of apple bran muffins. They are a handy breakfast on the go and a great way to get fruit and wholegrain into fussy little people.
275g wholemeal flour
50g wheat bran
100g brown sugar
1 tablespoon baking powder
1 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda/ bread soda
2 teaspoons mixed spice
2 eating apples, chopped into chunks
150g natural yoghurt
125 mls milk
50g very soft butter
1. Preheat oven to 180 degrees Celsius. Line a 12 hole muffin tin with muffin/ large bun cases.
2. In a large bowl, place the flour, bran, spice, apples, bicarbonate of soda and baking powder.
3. In another bowl, add the butter, milk, yoghurt and eggs and mix well with a hand mixer.
4. Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and mix through, just until evenly combined as any longer will make the muffins tough.
5. Divide the mixture into the muffin cases and bak in the middle of the preheated oven for 20 minutes or until golden brown.
6. Allow to cool for a few minutes before placing on a wire rack to cool completely.